- Some scammers say you “”won a prize”” and try to make you pay something to claim your prize. This is a scam.
- Government law enforcement and debt collection offices will never call you and threaten you. Any calls like this are scams.
- Scammers will try to pressure you to make a decision on the spot. These calls aren’t from legitimate businesses.
- Some scammers offer payment options in gift cards and cash because it’s harder to get your money back.
- A government agency, like Social Security, will never call you to confirm your identity or private information.
Helpful tip for avoiding phone scams:
Never answer the phone if you don’t recognize the phone number.